Auglaize Acres began on October 8, 1857. This was nine years after the organization of Auglaize County and four years before the start of the Civil War. The County Commissioners purchased 200 acres in Duchouquet Township for $3,800 from William Ross and John Fisher.
There was a two-story log house on the property. Superintendent, William Smith, lived in half of the house and the residents occupied the other half. In 1858, at a cost of $600, a five-room frame building was built for the superintendent to live in.
In 1861, it was decided to erect a large brick building, but because of the high cost of building materials during the Civil War, all bids were rejected. The bids were again received 1867, and a new building was built. In 1891, living quarters were again crowded and a new wing was put on the East side of the building.
On Wednesday, September 25, 1907 at 3:30 A.M., a fire of unknown origin completely destroyed the building and many of its nearby sheds and out-buildings. There were 38 residents at that time. They were moved to infirmaries in adjoining counties, until a new building could be constructed.
There was much discussion in the county about rebuilding west of Wapakoneta along the Wapak-St. Marys Road and the Western Ohio Traction Line. Finally the location was decided by a county wide election held on November 30, 1908. The outcome of the vote was in favor of the old and present location.
The new building built in 1909, at a cost of $68,000, is still in use today and is known as the East Building. In 1976, the County Commissioners decided to construct a 78-bed addition. Residents were moved from the old part of the building to the new and the old part was extensively remodeled. Auglaize Acres was now complete as a Medicare / Medicaid certified facility with 91 Intermediate care beds.
Auglaize Acres is proud of the fact that it has spanned two centuries and is “Stepping Into The Millennium” with 150 years of service to the people of Auglaize County.