History of Auglaize County
History of the Courthouse
The first courthouse was built in 1851 on South Blackhoof Street at a cost of $11,499. In the spring of 1893 it was determined that a new courthouse would be erected for Auglaize County. Julius Kremer, of the firm Kremer and Hart of Columbus, Ohio, was chosen as the architect for the project. E.M. Campfield & Co., from Findlay, Ohio, was awarded the construction contract for the sum of $102,536.00. Eighty-five men, at a wage of $1.50 per day, were hired the first month. An entire city block was purchased for the new building. Construction began on July 2, 1893 and was completed in early December of 1894. The total cost including real estate, construction, furnishings, fixtures, and the power house was $259,481.00.
The structure was a massive one. Built entirely of Berea sandstone with tile flooring, it was nearly fire-proof as was possible to construct at that time. In the powerhouse, on the southwest corner of the courthouse site, were located the electric dynamos which provided the power to light the entire building from the basement to dome, and the boilers that furnished the steam heat for the building.
For more than a century, this courthouse has well served the citizens of Auglaize County. Is has been the place where we have come to register our complaints, to see that justice is done, to pay our taxes, to settle our lawsuits, to purchase our marriage licenses, to review our deeds, to record our deaths, and to do so many other routine activities of a free people. Since 1894, its rooms and hallways have witnessed great happiness and sorrow. It still stands today, dignified and solemn, continuing to serve as a source of pride for the people of Auglaize County.
Description of the Auglaize Co. Seal
Designed and drawn by Larry McLean
Between the outer circle and the inner circle are the words: “SEAL OF AUGLAIZE COUNTY OHIO”. The style of lettering for these words is Plantin Bold Condensed. Leaves are between the words Ohio and Seal, and Ohio and County
In the center of the seal between the two “As” is a silhouette of Auglaize County. Beneath the silhouette is the date “1848” which is the year the county was established.
In the upper left hand section is a drawing of an Indian arrowhead and peace pipe, depicting the county's history and folklore. The drawing of the Eagle moon lander on the moon depicts the achievement of Neil Armstrong of Auglaize County, the first man on the moon. The drawing of the factory with a gear in the foreground, depicts commerce and industry. The drawing of corn and wheat, depicts agriculture.
Description of the Auglaize Co. Flag
The date “1848” is the year the county was established. The drawing of an Indian arrowhead and peace pipe, depicts the county's history and folklore. The drawing of the Eagle moon lander on the moon depicts the achievement of Neil Armstrong of Auglaize County, the first man on the moon. The drawing of a factory with a gear in the foreground, depicts commerce and industry. The drawing of corn and wheat, depicts agriculture.
County Flags are FOR SALE, only $30.00 while supplies last.
If you would like information on how to purchase the Auglaize
County Flag, please contact the Auglaize County Commissioners at 419-739-6710.